Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boston Baked Beans


Mother's Day this year wasn't much of a relaxing one for me unfortunately. The hubby tore a ligament in his foot and also went and caught Man-Flu as well. He says he'll make up for it next weekend. I can choose something I want to eat and he'll cook it. I'm still deciding......

Right so I was to bring a dish to my brothers place where we would celebrate Mother's Day at his house this year rather than battling the crowds over yum cha or dinner. I was asked to bring a side dish. And since it's cold, so very very cold (my fingers are frozen just typing on the keyboard for this post), I decided to do a hearty side dish that's warming and filling. Couple of clicks later I settled on the Boston Baked Beans from the Taste website (recipe here).


Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium brown onion, chopped
4 middle bacon rashers, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 x 400g cans borlotti beans, drained, rinsed
2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes


Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a flameproof ovenproof dish over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened.


Add bacon and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until bacon has browned.


Add paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.


Add sugar, tomato paste, golden syrup and worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until combined.


Stir in beans and tomato. Bring to the boil.



Bake for 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened and beans are heated through. Serve.



You know what, this would be great as a breakfast with toast and a fried egg. I personally found it a little too sweet for my liking but my dad approved (he had one of his molars taken out and could only have soft food so he enjoyed this with some rice....poor guy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment