Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chinese Poached Chicken (with Vermicelli and Bok Choy)

Never have I poached an egg, that does seem absurd, even I can't believe I've never poached an egg before. So what was I thinking attempting to poach a chicken before I've even tried an egg? Well I had the ingredients and I didn't feel like another stir fry or another pan fried chicken. And lucky for me it actually turned out. Couldn't believe it. I was expecting the husband to turn around and say, Sorry B, it's not very good. I love it when I go in thinking I'll fail...not miserably but still a fail and then it turns out : ) So it's safe to add this one to my recipe book.



Ingredients
4 chicken breasts
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1 cup of light soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 shallots, sliced (extra for garnish)
3 cloves of garlic (*bruised)
3cm piece of ginger, sliced
2 star anise
1 Packet of Vermacelli
3 bunches bok choy
Seasame oil (to finish off the dish at the end)
toasted sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
Method
1. Place chicken stock, water, soy sauce, brown sugar, shallots, garlic, ginger and star anise into a large pot. Bring it to the boil.
2. Add chicken and turn the stove down low. Cook it for around 10-15mins.
3. Meanwhile, bring another pot of water to the boil. Place the bok choy (chopped and thoroughly rinsed) in for about 3mins. Take it out of the boiling water and set aside. Now place the vermacelli in the same boiling water and cook for around 6mins. Drain and divide it up into 4 separate bowls.
4. Take the chicken out of the poaching liquid and slice it up. Serve it ontop of the vermacelli along with the bok choy. Pour some of the poaching liquid in each bowl (reserving the rest as a master stock if you wish). Pour a little bit of seasame oil over the top then sprinkle with seasame seeds and shallots and there you have it!

*Bruising the garlic in my terms, is to smash it with the side of the cleaver

The ingredients
Poaching liquid

Chicken in for poaching

Poached chicken breast

Juicy as

Bonus - now I have my own master stock!

4 comments:

  1. Great job Brenda! I love this chicken, it's so healthy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah but i much rather prefer a fried egg over poached :P your chicken looks delish and im super jealous of your stock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lorraine - Thanks! As healthy as I'll ever get I think hahahaha!

    Hey Suze - You are dead right....fried egg any day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for the master stock! love that dishes like this gives you more than one meal!

    ReplyDelete