Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vietnamese Tomato Rice (Com Sot Ca Chua)


This is my version of the tomato rice you get when you order Crispy Skin Chicken or Pork Chops from the Vietnamese restaurants.

It's a good way to use up left over rice and very simple to make. I sometimes make it just as a snack in between meals. Yeah, no tea and biscuits for me, give me a bowl of rice/noodles or a pie or a slice of pizza thanks!

Bren's version of Tomato Rice:
2 eggs
3 cups of cooked rice
2 Tables spoons peanut oil
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
Teaspoon of sugar

1. While the oil is heating in the pan, crack and mix the eggs in a bowl.
2. Once the pan is hot enough, pour the egg mixture in and cook (I prefer to scramble my eggs, but you can always cook it as an omlette and then transfer onto the chopping board to cut up neatly)
3. Add more oil in the pan and heat (on high), add crushed garlic and cook slightly, then add the cooked rice.
4. Once the rice is heated through (2-3mins), add the tomato paste and sugar and toss it really well.
5. Finally add the cooked egg tossing it through, serve immediately.
Serves 3 people as a side dish

2 comments:

  1. Oooh thankyou for this! I love tomato rice and I've never quite known how to make it-until now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mum adds sesame oil instead of peanut oil

    ReplyDelete