Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Happy 2nd Birthday Keane!

My precious little boy turned 2 on the weekend and to celebrate I had my family over for dinner. I also baked a buttercake and shaped it into B2 (one of his favourite characters at the moment). It was either Bananas in Pyjamas or Thomas the Tank Engine and my cake skills are not up to the degree the Thomas range requires.

Don't think for a second I actually shaped this cake without a template. I used the "ABC for kids Book of Cakes" which had detailed instructions on how to decorate the cake and provided a cut out template.

I'm quite happy with the results because I didn't cheat and use box cake. I made it from scratch, along with the buttercream icing and even the fondont. The only thing I used pre-made was the liqorice for the eyes and mouth and the hundreds and thousands for the present. Oh and the top of Bananas head I dipped the liqorice into melted chocolate. And I can't take full credit for this cake either because my husband did help out arranging the fondont and liqorice. So thank you for your help Laurence!! We did good ; )

Of course we didn't just have cake for the evening, there was a decent spread. From the top going clockwise we have broccolini with garlic breadcrumbs, potato bake, roast lamb, Amra's delicious tabouli (thanks for making it Amra!), my aunts lovely coleslaw, and in the centre was some juicy corn. Mmmmm I'm hungry again seeing this food.
It was a really enjoyable day and thanks to my family for being there and spoiling him with all those presents. I'm so happy and grateful to be blessed with such a wonderful son. And I know I call him a terror sometimes but he's still the best boy ever. Happy 2nd birthday, Keane!

No comments:

Post a Comment